Sunday, March 15, 2015

Screencasting in the Library

Parents,

There are a lot of great technology tools our there these days. It can almost be overwhelming. As I am half way through my second year in the library, the field of technology seems less daunting. I can quickly evaluate what will be great for the library and my students, and what will be nothing more than a novelty item.

In addition to teaching my students to become  information literate, which includes transliteracy, it is also my job to share resources with my classroom teachers. Some of these resources include books, websites, and items in which the integration of technology into the classroom can occur organically. With the roll-out of Google Apps for Education (GAFE) this year to our school, the majority of my attention has been placed in this arena, for both students and teachers. But I have just learned about a great screencasting platform called Screncast-O-Matic. Check out this short video on the tool.



There are so many uses for screencasting in our schools. From showing teachers how a certain website works, to recording how-to videos around math or science for students, to being able to guide parents through the process of online forms, there are a plethora of uses for screencastings in our school community. I have already started to create screencasts that support the library's curriculum. I hope to create many more screencast how-to videos for your children, in addition to training teachers on this great tool. Check out my first screencast for using the website CitationMachine.net.










No comments:

Post a Comment