Monday, March 21, 2016

California Young Reader Medal (CYRM) Program

California Young Reader Medal (CYRM) Program


Better late than never seems to be my motto of the moment! I hinted about the CYRM program way back in September and thought I would have rolled out the program sooner. But here we are in March and it is just getting done. (I blame it on the never ending demands of Graduate school! 😊) Although we have to vote for our favorite book in each category by the end of the month, I still wanted to roll out the program at Edison as this is something I hope we participate in each year.


Although the CYRM program has been around since 1974, this is the first time Edison will participate. And I am so excited! With this program, students are encouraged to recreationally read some of the best popular literature titles out there today. Not only do they get to read great titles, they also get to vote for their favorite title in each category AND they get to nominate their favorite titles for the following year.


I have created a website that gives information about the program and each of the books. I found author and illustrator interviews and read aloud videos for all of the picture books. I introduced the site to students two weeks ago and they love it. I hope you do too!


Students will vote for their favorite books in the school library that last week of March.


I am already coming up with a plan on how to get next year’s books into classrooms for September, but you will have to watch out for an upcoming email on the spring book fair for the details.


For now, please check out my Google site!




Thanks,
Ms. Boese
Teacher Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment